Wednesday 23 March 2011

FREE!

Well hello all! I am currently in a very good mood as I am writing this blog from the comfort of a coffee shop in Westfield.. Yes, I am out of the hospital! I was released on Monday afternoon after lots of sitting about - it couldn't come soon enough! I was allowed out on Sunday (as I had 4 neutrophils, hurrah) so we went to Daphne's for lunch. My subtle hint worked and she made an amazing Sunday Roast. On Monday morning my doctor came in to tell me that everything was grand (well I needed more Potassium and fluids) and that I would be free to head off that afternoon. The day dragged in but I was very happy to leave. It was also very strange. This round of high dose was so different to the last time and I was quite sad saying goodbye to some of the nurses! We got them a lot of cakes and things so I think they were quite chuffed with that. On Monday night we came over to the flat for dinner and just chilled which was lovely. I was so knackered and when I eventually dozed off, there was a fire alarm! I was not amused. How typical though?! Yesterday we went to meet my cousin Kate for lunch and it was great to see her. Jamie went back to Glasgow and my friend Ali came to the flat for dinner. I managed to get quite a good sleep last night which I'm quite surprised at, still feel wiped today though! We have clinic tomorrow and planning on getting the sleeper tomorrow night. It feels like we've been here for a lifetime so I am very excited to get home.

The Prof came in to visit last Thursday and it was great to see him. He was very positive about how the treatment has gone and said he wants me to come down to his clinic in about four weeks time. He wants me to keep my hickman line for a few more weeks in case I need anymore fluids and I can get it removed at home. I also need to have my other operation but he said he wouldn't consider that for about another three months. He said it should take about a year to recover from the high dose and for me to feel normal-ish again. He was giving me time scales for when I'll start to feel better but obviously each person is different. He said it's very important that I take things slowly and try not to push myself - I think I'll struggle with that! I said to him that I can't wait to be able to do a cartwheel again, which he looked a bit shocked at! All I meant was that I can't wait to have the energy to do a cartwheel again! I don't envision being able to do one anytime soon! I can't remember what it's like to have any kind of energy, I'm so excited to be able to stand for extended periods of time - how sad is that?!

I don't think it's really sunk in that this is my last round of high dose. It all seems a bit unreal. My consultant from Christmas time came to visit me on Friday (as Mum had brought him Tunnock's snowballs!) and it was good to catch up with him. He said that there would be no benefit in three rounds of high dose and that two should 'do the job'. I'm not even sure if that makes sense but it is a very exciting prospect. It feels very overwhelming that this could be it, I still don't think it has sunk in.

I've taken a few photo's over the past few weeks so I'll try upload these... This is me with Nadar (one of my favourite nurses) helping me shave my head. He was so lovely and looked after me so well.


These are the butterfly mobiles that Rebecca and the girls made for me - how cute are they?! Thanks guys. Also the scary Jamie face that Aileen made!


This is a picture of my bright and cheerful room!


This is a selection of some of my lovely cards - thanks guys :)


This is me posing with my last bag of Potassium - very happy at this prospect!


This is the mobile Jamie's Granny made me - isn't it lovely?! I adore it!


This photo was taken about ten minutes ago - posing with my amazing expresso. I was feeling pretty woozy and it has definitely perked me up. It's pretty warm in London today so I had to improvise with one of Mum's scarves and turn it into a turban type thing. This picture is for your benefit Clare! I hope you approve!


Anyway, I don't think this post has made much sense, I just wanted to let you all know that I'm free! Thank you everyone for your continued support and prayers through this horrible time. It really has not been pleasant but it has been such an encouragement to know so many people are thinking of me. We're hopefully meeting Dad and our friend Peter for dinner tonight so that will be nice. I best be off now, think that's Dad here! Laters!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy dinner my little free bird, I want a full run down of what you had ( and everyone else too)
    Emmmmm problem with this post is not seeing the lovely montage of my face i made you- I think it is perfect for every single room you live in from now on :)

    Love you pie pie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this the most exciting news you heard in a year??? Hooray! I just hope you received our spring card as I couldn't get the whole address on the card. Just the hospital, not the street name. Hope they will sent any more mail forward to Uddingston!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the turban scarf thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The turban looks awesome! Very impressed.

    So wonderful to see you free- it's just the best news in so long darling!
    Woooooo just a couple more sleeps til home!

    Big kisses xxxx

    ReplyDelete